Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bobbing on the Sea

It has been a long time since I've dipped a paddle in the water. The weather, social commitments, and work have been conspiring to keep me from my zen when I could really use it.
Life has tossed me through some choppy waters over the last few weeks. My project at work was getting bogged down in a tangle of rescheduling. Then just after Thanksgiving, we had a major layoff. We lost three members of my team and will likely lose a few more. (The Irish labor laws are forcing the workers in that office to labor away for 30 days knowing they may be made redundant.) While I managed to survive yet another rif, my role is in limbo. I handed off the project I was working on for two years to another writer, and have yet to be given clear marching orders for the future. All I know is that it will be something exciting.
Kayaking has taught me that sometimes all you can do is keep paddling. No matter how big the waves get, how fast the current races, how strong the winds blows you need to keep the paddles moving, the hips lose, and the mind focused on the moment. Eventually, you will find a patch of sand on which to rest.

1 comment:

  1. Good advice - and good luck whatever happens. Lot of people in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete