Friday, November 23, 2007

Giving Thanks

Yesterday's American holiday is the day to think about the things for which we are thankful. (I firmly believe, and try to act on the belief, that you should be thankful every day.)
I've got a lot to be thankful this year: the beginning of a great marriage to a great woman, a new house top, a wonderful Alaskan adventure, a new iPhone, several great parties, seeing some of my friends have solid relationships, reconnecting with an old friend, a job that I don't hate, etc.
I'm also thankful that most of the people I know also have a lot of reasons to be thankful. Let's face it any one blessed enough to enjoy kayaking has a lot of reasons to be thankful: having enough disposable income to own (and maintain) the kit needed to kayak, a living space large enough to accommodate a kayak, decent health, plenty of leisure time, the company of good people, experiencing nature, good weather, etc. Plenty of people are not so lucky. They struggle to make ends meet. They cannot find the time to smell the roses. They have some infirmity. They cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. They face the constant threat of violence.
Our lives may not be all that we would wish. However, our balance sheets are in the black. I know mine is and I thank the universe for my good fortune.

2 comments:

  1. One of your better entries!! (And I am not just saying that because I am one of those things you listed as being thankful for!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,

    What a lovely, wonderful entry!! Keep up the great writing...I always enjoy your insights.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete