Saturday, November 24, 2007

The November Paddle

Once the cold water paddling season starts, I recalibrate my expectations for paddling. Instead of trying to get out once a week, I live with once a month. Instead of looking to push the envelope, I stay inside the safety box. It is nice to just get on the water and stretch the paddling muscles.
Today's paddle was nearly perfect as a winter paddle. PB posted a show and go out of Third Beach. Since I hadn't managed to get on the water all month and I wasn't sure about the group going out on Sunday, I was definitely going to make this paddle.
I had trouble getting out of the driveway in the morning and was late getting to the beach, but everyone was very laid back about getting on the water. It was cold and sunny. Eventually, we (PB, BH, CR, CMC, CC, TM, and myself) got on the water and headed towards Second Beach.
TM was a new paddler to the group, so I made a point to talk to him. New paddlers can be a bit unnerving on cold water paddles because the safety margins are slimmer. The conditions were mild and TM was up to the challenge.
We noodled around the point and landed on the beach for lunch. After a sunny lunch, we launched and headed back to the put-in. TM had to get to work, so it was a short paddle.
On the way back, CR and BH stopped to pick up a huge ball of fishing line. The line was stranded on one of the rocks along the coast.
Back at the put-in, PB and I took our turns at rolling. PB's looked effortless. Mine felt rusty, but I came up without worry. The water, a balmy 50 degrees, chilled my noggin.
I look forward to a equally pleasant Dec. paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment